Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Your Perceptions, Hopes, Goals and Values

Take the time to think through, write down and then discuss the following questions with your parents. It’s easier to change your answers and to dodge some touchy issues if you skip one of those steps. If possible, meet with a trusted family friend who is willing to help guide your discussion. Going back to the decision traps of group thinking, this may help you actually ask/talk through issues that may normally make either you or your parents feel uncomfortable.

HOCKEY
Am I good enough right now to play college hockey next fall? If so what level? Would I get regular ice time? What’s more important: graduating in 4 years OR playing 2-4 years college hockey at the highest level I can play? Is it enough just to keep playing on a competitive team affiliated with my college or is my goal NCAA hockey? Would I prefer to be affiliated with a winning/more skilled team and not play OR to find a team where I contribute? What do I need to do differently next season/what do I need to do to help ensure that I are preparing for the possibility of college hockey? What do I hope to gain from playing junior hockey? Who should I ask for advice about this decision and a fair perspective about my current skill and my college potential? What kind of coach motivates me the most? My perfect scenario for next year would be…

LIFE/CHARACTER
How hard am I willing to work next year to improve? Lifting? Conditioning? Eating right? Sleeping right? Am I strong enough to do what I need to do even if others are not? Does a girlfriend or friends choices weigh into my decisions? How? Do I have my social life in the right perspective? Do I have an issue making good decisions regarding drugs/alcohol/risky behaviors? Do my parents trust me? Should they? Do I plan on attending religious services next year? How would I find a place of worship to fit in with my schedule? What are my biggest concerns about next year? Do I follow through on things without being constantly reminded? Am I self motivated? Am I grounded enough in my beliefs/faith that I will continue live with integrity when no one is watching or when I want to fit in? Am I good at saving/budgeting money? Where am I likely to fail / make mistakes this year?

ACADEMICS
Do I know what I want to do occupationally? Do I need college for that? Do I have a major picked out? Is college in your plans regardless of how things turn out with hockey? Have I researched schools with my desired major? Do they have hockey at the level I can reasonably play? Can I get accepted at that school? Am I ready (and do I want) to take full time college classes in the fall?Do I want to take part time classes if I play juniors? If I take a complete break from academics will I be more refreshed or less disciplined than I am now?

FAMILY ISSUES / LIVING PLANS
Do I want to move away from home? How far is too far? How often do I want to come home? Do I want my parents to come see me play next year? What is the total financial commitment your family will make (school and hockey)? Is this a loan that you are expected to pay them back? What percent? Where will I get spending cash this year? Will I need to work a part time job? How will we make these decisions? Who gets a vote? Who gets a veto? Do I want to live in a small town/metro area? What will I do for a car? When will I get to see my siblings again – how often will I want to? Do I want to be home for Thanksgiving and Christmas? Who is paying for the tryouts/showcases? How much is in this budget and how much have we already spent? How will I keep insurance?

BACKUP PLANS
What are some critical "deal breakers" that I will not accept in a junior hockey experience? When is the drop dead deadline to make a decision? What will dictate that deadline? How uncomfortable/stretched am I willing to become before I quit? What will be considered failure? What happens if I get hurt this summer? During the season? What happens if I get cut or traded? Will I accept that or choose to come home? What if I don’t like junior hockey and want to come home? What grades do my parents expect? If I deviate from this plan am I going to be the one financially responsible?